Welcome to Solomon's Conservative Wisdom

Welcome to my Conservative Blog, Solomon's Conservative Wisdom. The name comes from my middle name and the historical & biblical figure King Solomon, now I make no claim to have Solomon's Wisdom, but I do have Common Sense. I welcome anyone to join in and comment about anything I may have written, posted or one of my Articles / Columns. This blog is dedicated to conservatism and freedom. I invite all conservatives to join in, I don’t mind non-conservatives joining in (after all the only way to change liberals and fence-sitters is to debate them and change their minds, some are just too hard headed to admit they are wrong) . All I expect is a respectful debate.

I have recently split my postings to a few other blogs I own, Solomon's Conservative Wisdom, Solomon's Conservative Wisdom II, and Solomon's Conservative Wisdom at Townhall.com, to spread out some of my postings.
So check them out and tell me what you think.

Please comment on my Articles and Columns, as well as any other post that is not just a link to a story.

I want to know what others think and have a debate. And make sure to check out my Articles and Columns if you haven't already.

So tell everyone you know.


Quote of the Year

Runs until 12/31/2012

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S. Patton

Quote of the Month

Runs until 11/07/2012


"Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood."

General George S. Patton


Bonus Quote

"If you’ve got a business – you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

President Barack Hussein Obama II


Current Health Issues

I am currently having health issues for information and to possibly help see here, My Recent Health Issue.

About my Blog

On this blog I will be posting my Articles & Columns that I have writen, as well as posting news items and links that I see that I believe are relevant or when I think things might be getting too serious some thing else.
So please let me know what you think of my Articles & Columns, and let other conservatives know about my blog.

Quick Note: I only link to wikipedia articles that I have checked out and are used only for reference material.

Welcome to my blog, Solomon's Conservative Wisdom. The name of this blog comes from my middle name and the historical & biblical figure King Solomon. This group is dedicated to conservatism, and I invite all conservatives to join, I really don’t mind non-conservatives joining. All I expect is a respectful debate. So tell everyone you know.

Monday, May 3, 2010

The BP Oil Derrick Violations.

I have heard a few people and groups talking about violations of the BP Oil Derrick that exploded and sank on April 20th, well I looked somethings up and found out that the Derrick was inspected in February, March and on April 1 that turned up no violations at the Deepwater Horizon. You can find the original AP report here.

While trying to find a list of the Violations I found these, the list and information comes from Ordons News;
MMS Records Show BP Has Previous Deepwater Violations;

"MMS slapped BP with $41,000 in fines in October 2007 after a series of violations related to a near-blowout five years earlier. In November 2002, the Ocean King rig, operated by Diamond Offshore Drilling, in the Gulf had to evacuate all 65 of its workers for nearly two days after operators detected a dangerous rise in gas pressure. The rig, which had been drilling at a depth of more than 5,000 feet, didn't resume work for nearly a week, according to the MMS report."
"Unlike last week's disaster, workers were able to keep the well from leaking by using cement and mud to plug the well. The same subcontractor, Diamond Offshore, was also used when BP was fined $25,000 in 2004 for bypassing a gas detection system while drilling. A BP spokesman in London says the company still uses Diamond Offshore as a contractor."




"In the 2002 incident, the MMS said that BP and Diamond Offshore were unaware that some of the key safety procedures they used to initially stop the dangerous rise in pressure could have contributed to a blowout. The MMS cited BP for what it called "no formal procedures" and "no written guidelines" to follow in case of an emergency. MMS also cited BP and contract workers in the incident for what they said was a "lack of knowledge of the system, and lack of pre-event planning and procedures."

"In separate incidents, BP was also fined $75,000 in 2003 for not having adequate water pressure on one rig's fire protection system as well as another $80,000 fine for bypassing safety alarms that could have indicated dangerously high pressure, similar to what caused the near-blowout in 2002, according to MMS data."

"Fines for serious incidents, like blowouts, can often total millions of dollars. In 2008, Pogo Producing Company was fined more than a half million dollars for a November 2006 blowout. In that incident, oil was blown out of the flare boom and covered the rig in crude, leaving an oil slick 16 miles long and close to a mile wide."

Also the rig had a couple of safety awards;
"Ironically, MMS recognized BP in 2009 and 2010 as a finalist for "outstanding safety and pollution prevention" in an industry "SAFE" award ceremony scheduled next month. MMS figures show OCS drilling operators paid about $919,000 in fines for safety violations in 2009, down from $2.2 million in 2008 and $3.1 million in 2007, when record oil prices led to higher demand for rigs and drilling workers. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, many of those employees received inadequate training before working offshore on a oil drilling platform."

As you can see the serious violations are somewhat easily found but the others aren't, I have heard there are almost 400 violations, but I can't find a full list and I suspect that if I found the full list most of those violations might be silly ones such as a loose toilet site that hardly seem as serious as the others.

Solomon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Donate to Support my Blog.

Ray Stevens - Throw the Bums Out

Blog Archive

Recent Visitors


Should the Goverment be allowed to regulate Video Games.